So much for Olympus holding the ‘biggest zoom’ record for the last couple of years. Nikon just set a new record today with an earth-shattering 42X optical zoom lens (no, the camera does NOT come bundled with a tripod, Gitzo or any brand) on their flagship Coolpix camera; that’s equivalent to a whopping 1000 mm at maximum zoom.
For the record, the nearest SLR lens that does that, the Canon EF 1200 mm costs the price of a small house… fortunately for mortals like us, the Coolpix P510 costs less than an unlocked iPhone… and it packs full manual controls and plenty of features to delight photography enthusiasts.
- 16 megapixel backlit CMOS imaging sensor
- 42X optical zoom: 24 – 1000 mm (f3.0-f5.9) lens
- Optical image stabilizer
- 3 inch LCD (921,000 pixels); hinge mounted display can be tilted up/down for flexible shooting
- Full manual controls
- Multi-shot layering modes like HDR and Night Landscape modes; photo special effects
- Built-in GPS for photo geotagging
- Full HD 1080p movie mode with stereo sound and optical zoom
- Takes SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
- Uses a lithium-ion battery
- Available in February for $330
- Comes in your choice of black or red