With a “few” hours left till the official Canon announcement, a picture of the PowerShot G11 has just leaked out! Note the detail of the new camera (especially the swiveling LCD) and the new button design on the upper left corner on the back – this surely ain’t a fake picture!
Here’s a picture of last year’s G10 for comparison’s sake.
So here’s the new PowerShot G11 is a prosumer camera… Canon seems to be backing out of the megapixel race with this camera since they probably know photo enthusiasts aren’t easily fooled by insane, ever-increasing megapixel counts (usually accompanied by an increase in noise, decrease in burst speed and little to no ‘real’ resolution advantage). Canon has opted to fit the new G11 with a 10 megapixel sensor (versus 2008’s G10 14.7 megapixel CCD), which will hopefully produce better images.
Update (almost forgot to include this; thanks for asking, Lloyd): The Canon PowerShot G11 will sport a 1/1.7 inch sensor.
Canon PowerShot G11
(Prosumer compact camera)
- 10 effective megapixels
- 28 – 140 mm (f2.8 – f4.5) 5X optical zoom lens
- Optical image stabilization
- 3 inch rotating LCD; optical viewfinder available
- Full manual controls with RAW mode and hotshoe
- Similar ‘retro’ body design to 2009’s G10
- 30 FPS movie mode with sound
- Takes SD/SDHC memory cards
- Uses a lithium-ion battery
- Available in fall 2009